One way to determine a carâ€™s speed, is to look at its acceleration capability. Common standards for comparing acceleration between cars are to examine the 0-60 mph acceleration times or 0-100 km/h times of different cars. For this discussion we will be using 0-60 mph acceleration times.
This list include street-legal production cars and modified cars; concept cars, strictly "race only cars", and one time only vehicles may not be included.
1. Bugatti Veyron Super Sport. 0-60 mph time: 2.4 secs. Price: $2,400,000. 8.0L W16-Cylinder, 64v DOHC Quad Turbocharger w/ 1200 hp. The original Bugatti Veyron can torque 0-60 mph in 2.5 secs at the cost of $1,700,000. The Bugatti Veyron SS is also the fastest car in the world by top speed.
2. Hennessey Venom GT. 0-60 mph time: 2.5 secs. Price is $725,000 for the 725 hp variant, and up to $950,000 for the 1200 hp twin turbo V8, which is the variant that is ranking second here. Only 10 will be made every year, and 4 are already on order.
2. Ariel Atom V8. 0-60 mph time: 2.5 secs. Price is $225,000. Only 25 will be made per year. Street legal race car requiring extra paper works to get it on the road depending on the state you are in. This car is mainly for people who want to take their race car out to the tracks but donâ€™t want to haul it around with a truck.
2. Caparo T1. 0-60 mph time: 2.5 secs. Price is $480,000. Only 25 will be made per year. Street legal race car. It resembles a prototype race car or a Formula One car.
2. Lamborghini Sesto Elemento. 0-60 mph time: 2.5 secs. Base price $2,500,000. 570 hp. It is equipped with a V10 engine that is capable of producing 570 horsepower. Now that may not sound much, but if youâ€™ll consider the weight of this car, it is more than enough to produce unprecedented speed.
3. Orca SC7. 0-60 mph time: 2.6 secs. Only 7 Orca SC7 has been produced. Price unavailable.
3. Ultima GTR. 0-60 mph time: 2.6 secs. Base price is about $138,300. The thing is that the Ultima GTR is a kit car. It is not sold fully assembled; assembly must be done at home or at an auto-shop.
4. Porsche 911 Turbo S. 0-60 mph time: 2.7 secs. Base price $160,700. 530 hp. A 2010 911 Turbo was tested 0-60 mph in 2.7 seconds with the PDK transmission by Car and Driver magazine.
4. Pagani Zonda R. 0-60 mph time: 2.7 secs. Base price $1,830,000. 750 hp. An expensive yet remarkable car, the non-production Zonda R is powered by 750 horsepower with 524 lb-ft of torque. It equals the time of the Porsche 911.
5. SSC Ultimate Aero. 0-60 mph time: 2.78 secs. 1183 hp, base price is $654,400. The SSC Ultimate Aero is an American-produced supercar. It was the fastest production car in the world before it was succeeded by the 2010 Bugatti Veyron Super Sport.
6. Ascari A10. 0-60 mph time: 2.8 secs. 625 hp, base price is $650,000. The Ascari A10 is a British produced automobile. It was designed by a Dutch millionaire named Klaas Zwart. Only 50 A10s are produced at the Banbury, England facility per year.
6. Nissan GT-R. 0-60 mph time: 2.8 secs. 530 hp. Base price is $89,950. The GT-R is Nissanâ€™s supercar that it produced for the first time in Japan in 2007.
6. Saleen S7 Twin Turbo. 0-60 mph time: 2.8 secs. 750 hp, base price is $555,000. The S7 is a limited, hand-built, American-made supercar. It was the only car made by Saleen that had its own chassis engineering design.
7. Caterham 7 Superlight R500. 0-60 mph time: 2.88 secs. 263 hp. Base price is about $66,768 (Â£41,000). The R500 is all about lightweight performance. It is a car stripped to the bare essentials to minimize weight and thereby maximize big kicks.
8. Ferrari LaFerrari. 0-60 mph time: 2.9 secs. Ferrari's eagerly anticipated limited-series special, the LaFerrari, was recently unveiled. This Ferrari comes with a 6.3 liter hybrid engine that produces a total of 963 horsepower and 664 lb ft of torque. The Prancing Horse's first in-house car is also known as the F70 and as the F150, it is a mild hybrid sports car and only 499 will be built.
8. Koenigsegg Agera R. 0-60 mph time: 2.9 secs. 1115 hp. Base price is $1,600,000. The Agera R is a Swedish supercar. The wings on the Agera R are designed to respond to wind pressure and high speeds. This design is not only lighter than conventional designs but also allows smarter response to headwinds and tailwinds.
8. Gumpert Apollo Sport. 0-60 mph time: 2.9 secs. 700 hp. Base price is $450,000. The Gumpert Apollo is a race car modified for the streets. The people responsible for its design are Roland Gumpert, ex-boss of Audi Sport, and Roland Mayer, the owner of MTM and Audi.
8. Lamborghini Aventador. 0-60 mph time: 2.9 secs. 700 hp. Base price is $379,700. The Lamborghini Aventador is the fastest street legal bull.
8. Nissan GTR. 0-60 mph time: 2.9 secs. 530 hp. Base price is $89,950. The GTR comes in two trims: Premium and Black Edition. Both come with a 3.8 liter twin turbo-charged V6 engine that produces 530 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and 448 pound-feet of torque at 3,200 to 6,000 rpm and. Those unfamiliar with its automated manual transmission may find it awkward at low speeds.
9. Mclaren MP4-12C. 0-60 mph time: in 3.1 secs. 592 hp. Base price is $229,000. The MP4-12C was the first car designed by constructed by McLaren after the F1. The Mp4-12C features a carbon fiber composite chassis and a M838T V8 twin-turbo engine.
9. Rossion Q1. 0-60 mph time: 3.1 secs. 450 hp. Base price is $90,700. The Rossion Q1 is a sports car made in the U.S. by 1g Racing/Rossion Automotive. Its design is based on the Noble M400.
9. Caterham 7 CSR. 0-60 mph time: 3.1 secs. 260 hp. Base price is about $71,328 (Â£43,800). The CSR is the latest model from Caterham Cars. Though it retains the appearance of the Super Seven, the CSR is the most heavily modified Caterham.
9. Koenigsegg CCXR Edition. 0-60 mph time: 3.1 secs. 1018 hp. Base price is $2,200,000. Only four were ever produced, making the CCXR Edition one of the rarest supercars. They are only available as a special order from the factory of Koenigsegg.
10. Ferrari Enzo. 0-60 mph time: 3.14 secs. 660 hp. Base price is $670,000. The Enzo was named after the companyâ€™s founder, Enzo Ferrari. It was designed using Formula 1 technology, F1 electrohydraulic shift transmission, featuring a carbon-fibre chassis, and C/SiC ceramic composite disc brakes.