Americans love trucks. They represent freedom by being more rugged than cars with most of them being able to handle rougher driving conditions like dirt roads and snow. They are also very convenient because they can tow boats and trailers and have a bed to place items in. In the past, fuel efficiency for trucks wasnâ€™t a high priority with the host of amenities and features they offer, but now with sky rocketing fuel prices, more attention has been paid to this aspect.
Best Gas Mileage Trucks in the U.S. - Top 10 List:
1. Toyota Tacoma: 21 City/25 Hwy (23 Avg.), Base Price: $16,875.
2.7-liter 4-cylinder engine with 159 hp and a towing capacity of 3500 lbs. One of the most popular mid-size trucks on the market, the Tacoma comes in a variety of body styles such as regular cab, extended, X-Runner, Pre-Runner, and four-wheel drive. The Tacoma regular cab is the most fuel efficient truck starting at less than $17,000.
2. Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid: 20 City/23 Hwy (21 Avg.), Base Price: $39,640. 6.0-liter V8 engine with 332 hp and a towing capacity of 6100 lbs. This full-size pickup features a hybrid engine offering 21 MPG combined fuel efficiency. If you are willing to spend $40,000 on a truck, this is the perfect choice for you.
3. GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid: 20 City/23 Hwy (21 Avg.), Base Price: $40,010. 6.0-liter V8 engine with 332 hp and a towing capacity of 6100 lbs. If you're interested in saving fuel and helping the green movement then the GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid is the truck for you. The GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid and the Chevy Silverado Hybrid are two trucks with the exact same specs and performance.
4. Nissan Frontier: 19 City/23 Hwy (21 Avg.), Base Price: $18,740.
2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine with 152 hp and a towing capacity of 3500 lbs. The Nissan Frontier is a mid-size truck riding on the same frame as the Nissan Titan and includes traits from both compact and full-sized trucks. Available in different engines and cab sizes, including the S, SV 4-cylinder, SV V6, PRO-4X, and SL; with the choices of either King Cab or Crew Cab. The Standard King Cab option has a combined MPG of 21 and costing less than $19,000.
5. Suzuki Equator: 19 City/23 Hwy (21 Avg.), Base Price: $19,299.
2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine with 152 hp and a towing capacity of 3500 lbs. Based on the Nissan Frontier, the Suzuki Equator is a mid-size pick-up starting around $19,000. The Equator comes in either Extended Cab or Crew Cab and Nissan develops the engines that come in either 4 or on the 6 cylinders.
6. Chevrolet Colorado: 18 City/25 Hwy (21 Avg.), Base Price: $17,475.
2.9-liter 4-cylinder engine with 185 hp and a towing capacity of 3400 lbs. Offering both manual and automatic transmissions, the Colorado has either a two-wheel drive or four-wheel drive drivetrain with regular, extended, and four-door crew cab body styles. The most fuel efficient model is the 2-wheel drive regular cab, which has a combined MPG of 21, starting at around $18,000. A more powerful 3.7-liter is also available as an upgrade starting at around $26,000.
7. GMC Canyon: 18 City/25 Hwy (21 Avg.), Base Price: $17,490.
2.9-liter 4-cylinder engine with 185 hp and a towing capacity of 3400 lbs. The GMC Canyon is the counterpart to the Chevy Colorado.
8. Ford F-150: 17 City/23 Hwy (20 Avg.), Base Price: $23,300.
3.7-liter V6 engine with 302 hp and a towing capacity of 5500 lbs. The Ford F-150 is the most affordable full-size pickup truck on the market. With a V6 engine, the F-150 is able to beat all their competitions at around the same price range.
9. Toyota Tundra: 16 City/20 Hwy (18 Avg.), Base Price: $25,155.
4.0-liter V6 engine with 270 hp and a towing capacity of 4900 lbs. The Toyota Tundra is a full-size pickup truck comparable to the Ford F-150, with a base price of a little more than $25,000.
10. Honda Ridgeline: 15 City/21 Hwy (18 Avg.), Base Price: $29,350.
3.5-liter V6 engine with 250 hp and a towing capacity of 5000 lbs. The Honda Ridgeline is a hybrid between a mid-size to a full-size pickup truck and an SUV. The standard Ridgeline has 4-doors, equipped with a V6 engine, costing around $29,000.