Under the warm California sun, Motor Trend (MT) magazine sponsored a drag race surely to be remembered in the years to come. As part of their celebration of Best Driverâ€™s Car Week, the â€œWorldâ€™s Greatest Drag Raceâ€ was held on the airstrip of El Toro Marine base near San Diego, California.
In 2011, the Nissan GT-R won, in 2012, the 2nd running of this event; you may not be as surprised. Qualifications for a car to be in this race? Well, the car has to be a production model, meaning no alterations, no modifications, straight up stock. The race covers a Â¼ mile on unobstructed tarmac with all the cars side by side. MT marked the event for all us octane junkies to see. Watch it!
Â¼ Mile Drag Race Results:
1. Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4: 10.8 secs @ 132 mph. Price: $383,000. Powered by a 6.5L V12 VVT that produces 691 HP & 509 lb-ft of torque. Talk about bullish, the Aventador is just that with its acceleration, handling and steering, not to mention its intimidating appearance.
2. Mclaren MP4-12C: 10.8 secs @ 131 mph. Price: $231,000. The 3.8L DOHC V8 engine, 592 HP & 443 lb-ft of torque nearly made it. McLaren continues to be a name in car racing circles that will never be taken for granted, not even in a drag race.
3. Nissan GT-R Black Edition: 11.1 secs @ 125 mph. Price: $106,000. This 3.8L DOHC V6 engine rides 545 HP and 463 lb-ft of torque provides enough power. The GTRâ€™s road worthiness is matched by its interior styling specially given the cockpit feel you get once youâ€™re behind the wheel.
4. Ford Shelby GT500: 11.6 secs @ 126 mph. Price: $55,000. A supercharged 5.8L DOHC V8 gives this car 662 HP and 631 lb-ft of torque a lot to brag about. This is once in which there is too much horsepower for the chassis producing a lot of movement, still, it is a Mustang Shelby.
5. Porsche 911 Carrera S: 12.0 secs @ 117 mph. Price: $97,000. In classic Porsche rear engine location, a 3.8L DOC Flat 6 engine producing 400 HP and 325 lb-ft of torque can be found. As can be expected in all Porscheâ€™s, you get balanced handling along with responsive brakes.
6. Chevrolet Camaro ZL1: 12.1 secs @ 117 mph. Price: $56,000. The 6.2L OHV V8 that gives you 580 HP and 556 ft-lb of torque is nothing to yawn about. The question is, whoâ€™s more famous, the car or Bumblebee. No matter, one does not exist without the other, â€œletâ€™s roll out!â€
7. Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Black Series: 12.1 secs @ 118 mph. Price: $106,000. A 6.2L V8 engine producing 510 HP along with 457 lb-ft of torque can be found in this participant. Luxury, power, and comfort sums up all that you can expect from Mercedes Benz.
8. Jaguar XKR-S: 12.5 secs @ 118 mph. Price: $133,000. The 5.0L supercharged DOHC V8 from Jaguar produces 550 HP and 502 lb-ft of torque. The XKR-S and its engine said to be the biggest that Jaguar has dared ventured into. Still, the plush and comfortable interior help make the ride pleasant.
9. Subaru BRZ: 14.9 secs @ 94 mph. Price: $28,000. Though only a 2.0L DOHC Flat 4 producing 200 HP and 151 lb-ft of torque, the BRZ can hold its own. Due to come out with a Turbo version, Subaru will continue to be a favorite to many people.