Vehicles don’t have to be small to be fuel efficient. With today’s progressive technology, the auto industry is incorporating hybrid technology and lighter building materials into SUVs allowing them to get excellent fuel economy. So if you want to be environmentally friendly by owning a vehicle that is fuel efficient that can comfortably carry your family, you can always choose an SUV.
Best Gas Mileage SUVs in the U.S. - Top 10 List:
1. Ford Escape Hybrid: 34 City/31 Hwy (32 Avg.), Base Price: $30,570. 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine with 177 hp. Reaching 0-60 mph in 9.5 secs. The Ford Escape Hybrid is sure to turn heads with the progressive styling of an SUV. Scoring high on safety tests and obtaining the best gas mileage for an SUV makes this vehicle a great buy.
2. Lexus RX 450h: 32 City/28 Hwy (30 Avg.), Base Price: $45,235.
3.5-liter V6 engine with 295 hp. Goes from 0-60 mph in 7.8 secs. The stylish and luxurious Lexus RX 450h is the second most fuel efficient SUV. Improving on the looks and overall driving performance of this model brings Lexus to the forefront of the Hybrid SUV category. The vehicle is considered a Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle meaning that it is 90 percent cleaner than the current average year's models.
3. Mazda CX-5: 26 City/35 Hwy (30 Avg.), Base Price: $20,695.
2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine with 155 hp. A compact crossover SUV with SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY that promised to deliver the efficiency in fuel economy as well as the driving experience.
4. Nissan Juke: 27 City/32 Hwy (29 Avg.), Base Price: $19,990.
1.6-liter 4-cylinder engine with 188 hp. Accelerating from 0-60 mph in 7.3 secs. Fast, fuel efficient and affordable sports like SUV. If you prefer a crossover between a sports car and an SUV, go with the Nissan Juke unique design.
5. Toyota Highlander Hybrid: 28 City/28 Hwy (28 Avg.), Base Price: $38,540. 3.5-liter V6 engine with 280 hp. Reaching 0-60 mph in 7.4 secs. Toyota has always produced great vehicles and the Highlander Hybrid is no exception. If you are willing to spend more than $37k, you will love this SUV due to its great gas mileage, great cargo space and a powerful engine.
6. Mitsubishi Outlander Sport: 25 City/31 Hwy (27 Avg.), Base Price: $18,795. 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine with 148 hp. Reaching 0-60 mph in 8.4 secs. Costing less than $19k, the Outlander Sport is a great bargain with amazing fuel efficiency that will top many competitions.
7. Hyundai Tucson: 23 City/31 Hwy (26 Avg.), Base Price: $19,145.
2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine with 165 hp. Accelerating from 0-60 mph in 10.2 secs. A smaller SUV, the Hyundai Tucson is sometimes considered a CUV (Crossover) and is a lot easier to maneuver and park in tight situations. Even though small, the cabin has been designed in a way that provides plenty of room for passengers and cargo. So, for the combination of having a rugged SUV that drives like a compact car, the Hyundai Tuscon might be just the vehicle for you.
8. Honda CR-V: 23 City/31 Hwy (26 Avg.), Base Price: $22,495.
2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine with 185 hp. Able to reach from 0 to 60 mph in 9.2 secs. The newly redesigned CR-V looks like a sports car in an SUV body.
9. Chevrolet Equinox: 22 City/32 Hwy (26 Avg.), Base Price: $23,530. 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine with 182 hp. Reaching 0-60 mph in 9.3 secs. With five passenger seating, a stylish design, and excellent performance makes the Chevy Equinox very appealing for those looking for an SUV with great gas mileage.
10. GMC Terrain: 22 City/32 Hwy (26 Avg.), Base Price: $25,560.
2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine with 182 hp. Able to reach from 0-60 mph in 9.2 secs. The GMC Terrain is a quality built SUV offering excellent mileage and clean emissions. The Terrain is a full SUV with a decent price tag and you won't have to sacrifice space or a smaller engine for the 26 mpg combined fuel efficiency.
More Fuel Efficient SUVs You Might Want to Consider:
Chevrolet HHR: 22 City/32 Hwy (26 Avg.), Base Price: $18,720.
Jeep Patriot: 23 City/29 Hwy (25 Avg.), Base Price: $15,995.
Jeep Compass: 23 City/29 Hwy (25 Avg.), Base Price: $19,295.